Your loved one needs to know how much you care. In addition to physically recovering from the surgery, people undergoing a mastectomy or lumpectomy will need to consider their emotional recovery in the weeks and months that follow the procedure. They can certainly expect to feel emotional, as some days will be better than others. They need to know that it is normal to feel grief, anger, sadness, and fear after this type of procedure. It is also common to feel happiness and relief as the recovery progresses.
Here’s what your loved one needs most:
- A listening ear
- Nourishing food
- Peace of mind
- Practical support
Aftercare assistance and resources may not be readily available to them if they don’t have family close by or if their family has to go right back to work. The last thing they need to worry about is what is falling through the cracks on the home front while they are trying to recover.
After surgery, patients are vulnerable, they’re in pain, they don’t feel well and they don’t want people to see them. They need TLC! If they’re single, or home without a support system…it can be scary. They may not have someone to check on their well-being – much less run out for a prescription or shop for groceries.
It is good to know that there are personal assistance companies like Consider It Done! in the Triangle (Raleigh-Durham) area of North Carolina that can help patients who prefer to keep their surgery or procedures a private matter, or for patients who do not want to bother their busy family and friends for post- surgery assistance. One of the most loving things you could ever do is to gift them with a few hours of practical personal assistance, depending on the patient’s needs and their doctor’s advice. These compassionate and efficient concierge companies can manage many practical things such as:
- Picking up/delivering meals, beverages and snacks
- Dropping off and picking up prescriptions, ice packs, medications, etc. from the pharmacy
- Picking up/ dropping off dry cleaning
- Dropping off items at the post office/UPS/FedEx
- Banking, paperwork management, opening & filing mail, bill paying
- Store purchases/returns/gift shopping
- Car services (car wash, oil change, gas fillup, etc.)
- General errands such as shoe repair, jewelry repair, Costco runs
- Grocery shopping, deliveries, light housekeeping, meal assistance, in home professional organizing
- Taking pets to vet/groomer, walking, playing with and cleaning up after
- Companionship, helping to write thank you cards and letters
- Helping spouse and children with chores & homework
- Maintaining weekly laundry, tidying, arranging house cleaners, helping with daily phone calls, scheduling appointments and many other miscellaneous errands.
If you are located in the Triangle (Raleigh-Durham) area of NC you can find personal assistance for yourself or a loved one. Contact us using our contact form or call Sherri Durbin, Owner at 919-697-8874. Gift certificates are available in all demoninations.